Making a Difference
People of the Book Literacy Project
is helping to bring about change in the Oakland community - and at the same
time, it also provides a great sense of satisfaction to its volunteers.
In both 2004 and 2005, California State Assemblywoman Wilma Chan honored People
of the Book for "outstanding commitment and community service to the
students of the Oakland Unified School District."
In the spring of 2008, People of the Book Coordinator Judy Zollman received the
Jefferson Award for Public Service for her work organizing our literacy
project. And in the spring of 2010, People of the Book was selected for
OUSD’s “Volunteer Organization of the Year” award.
Here's what others are saying:
- "My students cherish and appreciate the special
relationships they develop with their tutors. They are always . . .
excited about their sessions. It builds their confidence as well as
helping with their reading and language skills."
- "You need a human being who cares and has some
knowledge about how to work with and relate to the child. Children learn
when they feel safe."
- "The presence of Temple Sinai is the single most
important thing about our school."
- "Thank you because you come and help kids that
need help just like me. You guys are the best."
- "I love reading with my tutor; you can't give her
a different student!"
- "Can I keep this book for my very own?"
(about a new book at one of our book giveaways)