Toilet Learning & Diapers
TSP provides diapers for a fee of $10/month. Toilet learning is both an exciting and challenging time for children and parents. Our faculty is committed to helping to facilitate this important process. One of the most significant factors in making this experience successful and as low-stress as possible is a strong family/teacher partnership that supports your child. Research shows that young children cannot successfully learn how to use the toilet until they are physically, mentally and emotionally ready. Positive toilet learning usually occurs when children have shown signs of physical control and awareness of their bodily functions, and have an interest and curiosity about the process. TSP toilet learning procedures follow the recommendations of the American Academy of Pediatrics, and we work with you to make sure that toilet learning is carried out in a way that is appropriate for your child's physical and emotional abilities.
Your child may be ready for toilet learning if he or she:
- Can sense that the bowels are full
- Can let you know when he/she has to go potty
- Understands what is expected
- Cooperates with your requests
- Verbalizes discomfort with wet or soiled diapers
TSP faculty use the following guidelines:
- Teachers and parents share information and make a plan consistent with home and school.
- Children are supervised during toilet learning and are praised for their efforts and accomplishments.
- Toilet learning is never coerced. The individual developmental abilities of each child are considered. Children are never reprimanded emotionally or physically for soiling, wetting or not using the toilet.
- Reminders and encouragement to use the bathroom are provided throughout the day.
- Families should provide sufficient extra clothing for their children. If an accident occurs, the child is changed into clean clothes. Any extra clothes that are worn home should be replaced the next day.
- Families are kept advised on their child's progress on a regular basis according to family wishes.
If a child has repeated accidents at school, the teachers and/or Director will meet with you to reassess the process. If we determine that your child is not ready for underwear, it may be necessary for him/her to return to diapers as we continue the toilet learning process